Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thrift Shopping

I seldom get any good chance to do thrift shopping before, especially with two restless kids around.

Today I went there for my new home and found it a really rewarding experience. I should have done this much earlier. It was like treasure hunting and I got exactly what I wanted ----

1) A set of solid oak bedroom furniture which includes a vanity table, two fine dressers, two night stands with exactly the color I wanted and a matching bed headboard. All these come with a pretty reasonalble price.

2) Besides, as a bonus, I get a set of fine and pretty China for a very little price. I mean, a really big set of China which includes 12 regular size dish, 12 smaller dish, 6 bigger dish and 2 giant fish plates. It also comes with 8 cups, 2 pots and some other fancy things which I don't know their names yet. I would take the pictures of those and display them later on.
It is something I always dreamed about.

If not mentioning the goods, the old sales lady is a person I have ever met with this extent of elegance and peace of mind. She is a volunteer to work for the thrift shop. She must be very pretty when she was young and always live in decent families. I didn't see any pressure, anxiety or life difficulty presented on her face, like what I usually find from most of people in California. There is an inside tranquility in her. Usually I am an eager person who is trying to finish everything as quickly as I can, but I am calm around her.

I almost forgot the time when I hunted for my treasure in those attics. Every item is unique and is waiting for a particular person to pick them up at a particular time. This feeling is very much different from the department store or mall shopping experience. Over there you are just getting something you need and you can pick them up at any time and there are always going to be plenty of each goods displayed at all these different sizes. There is no story why I just pick this one but not that one, they are just all the same.

At some degree I missed the old era. I remember each cloth of mine is particularly made by a tailor when I was little, in a beautiful countryside of China. From today's aspect, those cloth designs certainly are old-fashioned or even ugly, but it is unique. Now we have those fashion designers in the top of the society and each uniqueness is usually only enjoyed by celebrities.

You may not believe this, but I had dreamed to be a tailor some day by myslef, although my practical training and effort never goes that way. Maybe some day, when I retired, I would pick one of my dreams to implement, such as writting novel is my another dream. But at this age, life is just thrilling and drives fast.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Roselily said...

Hope your dream of becoming a great tailor and novelist will come true after 30 years.Don't forget to paste your unique clothing photograph and your novels here at that time.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com